Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happy New Year!

I hope you are all having a wonderful start to 2011 and have been able to start the year with something lovely.  I started the year baking (and a bit of knitting).  

A friend had her birthday back in October, but she was overseas at the time and later lamented that she didn't get a cake.  I think there is something very special about someone taking the time to make you a birthday cake, and it is that time spent rather than the cake itself that makes birthday cakes special.  I knew my friend would appreciate a beautiful cake, so this time I went for elegance over theme.  Here is the Chocolate, Meringue and Strawberry Gateau...

The two cakes before final assembly.

The finished product.  From the bottom up, the layers are:  chocolate cake, meringue, chocolate cream, strawberries, whipped cream, chocolate cake, meringue.  With almond flakes around the sides and on top of the meringue layers.  This cake made the birthday girl feel very spoilt and 9 other people very happy!

1 comment:

  1. Birthday girl here - I sure loved that cake!! Such a lovely suprise, you are so thoughtful, and it was SOOOO yummy. You are a Queen of Cakes!!!

    ReplyDelete